This week there has been a contest on gamejolt on the theme chaos. Since I have lately been working on making a game a month, I decided to try my hand at the contest. The result was a game inspired by canabalt and (loosely) World of Darkness’s changeling called Flight of the Fae.
What went well
I had the luck to have two fantastic people helping me refine the idea I started with. Gina and Andraya were both a great help over the course of this. Having a constant source of feedback allowed me to work on this in a very iterative fashion with a very tight change feedback cycle that allowed me to evaluate the effect of changes I made very quickly.
Another boon was keeping things very simply to start with. I had something playable within a few hours to start iterating from. I had some grandiose ideas at the start that simply did not fit with the direction I ended up taking the game and if I had tried to work them in from the beginning instead of focusing on the core of the game play first I may have wasted a lot of effort.
What didn’t go well
I feel like I ended up painting myself into a corner with the graphics. Any changes at this point would require adjusting the game play too much I fear.
I spent a not insignificant amount of time struggling with Orthello trying to get things to work inside of its framework that I knew how to do with default unity or with other frameworks.
All in all I’m happy with the game turned out and am looking forward to what may come in the future from it or other future games. If you want to try it out by all means go play Flight of the Fae.